There are two things which make every woman’s senses blurred with pleasure, the two items in question being Chocolate and Strawberries. But it is the combination of the two that does something else altogether. It is like magic in your mouth.
So all fired up, I got up to make a ‘Chocolate Torte’ (a dense and moist chocolate cake as the website describes it), only to realize I was in the presence of a microwave which was just equipped to heat up vegetables and not bake a cake! Not let down, I jumped to the next easy recipe I could find. ‘Chocolate Lava Cake’ – Hard on the outside and gooey on the inside, it seemed just the kind of thing that would have everyone salivating. A look into the kitchen (it was not my kitchen) and I found that the only oven-proof dish it had was a pan. So finally I came down to a simple Chocolate cake!
So when it came to making another Chocolate cake I thought that it being the V day and all, adding the strawberries would be a nice change. Unfortunately I did not have the best luck with the quality of the strawberries so make sure yours are fresh.
The chocolate cake here going to be made out of Cocoa powder, so that nobody finishes off the chocolate even before the cake gets started. A two layer moist chocolate cake, with a layer of ganache and strawberries sandwiched between the sponge and some more ganache and strawberries on top. You can use cut up fresh strawberries or heat them up with a little brown sugar to caramelize them. The result is nevertheless fabulous and the cake is especially moist!
Anyway, the chocolate cake is pretty easy to prepare. Put it all in one mix and let it bake. If you have a normal oven, it will cook at 180 deg C in 30 min. If you are doing an experiment in a non functioning microwave, it will cook up in 10-15 min.
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups powdered sugar
¾ cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil or butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Boiling water (use accordingly)
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Butter the bottoms and sides of the cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a round piece of parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla extract.
4. Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture and beat it well. Whisk in the boiling water to thin the batter. Pour into prepared pans.
5. Bake 22 minutes.
6. Cool cakes for 15 minutes in the freezer.
7. Heat the cream with butter. Bring to a boil. Add chocolate pieces and mix well.
8. Cut the cake into two. Spread the chocolate ganache and cut up strawberry pieces on one layer.
9. Cover with the second layer. Spread more ganache and decorate with strawberries.
10. Enjoy with someone you love! 🙂
The fun part is preparing the glistening ganache, which I must add was so fabulous that it made my heart melt. A mix up of cream, butter and hard chocolate (what’s not to like I ask), this thing sat perfectly in the cake shining like a star! What did I learn? Well, always bake in an oven with time and temperature settings.